Our History

Our History

Victoria Foundation is one of the oldest private foundations in America. Hendon Chubb created the Foundation in 1924 in order to improve the lives of those less fortunate than himself. Named for his mother, Victoria, the Foundation provided assistance to needy individuals through the 1950s. In the 1960s, the foundation began focusing more on Newark and especially on access to education, enrichment, and job opportunities as well as social justice issues such as civil rights and poverty.

Image

Based on feedback from community leaders in Newark, in the 1970s the foundation expanded its efforts to include neighborhood revitalization and strengthening community networks.  This included helping start and grow community development organizations such as New Community Corporation, La Casa de Don Pedro, Ironbound Community Corporation, and Unified Vailsburg Services Organization.  Victoria also became known for providing annual general operating support and for focusing on youth development as well as education.  During this time, trustees expanded Victoria’s mission to include open space preservation, both buying land directly and supporting conservation nonprofits.

Throughout its almost 100 year history, the foundation has been committed to supporting community leaders and residents in addressing their own needs and shaping their own lives and neighborhoods. This commitment remains in place today and will guide the foundation into the future.

You can read a diddertation with a deep history of the Vitoria Foundation as a PDF using the button below:

1924

The Beginning

The Hendon Chubb created the Victoria Foundation as an independent grantmaking institution, which he named in honor of his mother, Victoria Eddis Chubb.

1924

1940

When the Foundation realized that many young children with rheumatic heart problems did not have access to quality convalescent care, it took action by opening a convalescent care center near Morris Plains, NJ.

1964

One of the first educational pilots for pre-kindergarten and elementary grades within the United States was launched in 1964 at the Cleveland Elementary School in Newark supported by the Victoria Foundation.

1964

1968

The Foundation engaged its first Executive Officer, Mr. Howard E. Quirk, in 1968. Mr. Quirk's first task was to explore the needs of Newark's Central Ward and recommend a course of action for the Foundation that would help provide access and opportunities for people in the City.

1968

Victoria provided start-up funds to New Community Corporation, a group formed by Father William Linder, a young Roman Catholic priest, to improve conditions for Newark residents of the Central Ward. Today NCC is the largest and perhaps the most successful community development organization in the country.

1968

1970's

Victoria Foundation shifted its grantmaking focus to Newark, NJ in response to the Newark Rebellion in the 1970’s. Executive Officer Howard Quirk engaged community leaders in discussions about what was needed to make the lives of residents better.

1988

In 1988, Victoria awarded the New Jersey Performing Arts Center  a small planning grant and two grants of $2.5 million each in 1991 and 1999. (In 2001, Victoria Foundation awarded a $5 million endowment gift to ensure the organization's long-term viability.)

1988

1990's

In the mid-1990's, when Foundation assets grew, the trustees established a fund that began to contribute to the purchase of specific pieces of land, chiefly in the water-rich Highlands at the top of Newark's Passaic River watershed.

1995

The New Jersey State Department of Education took over Newark's public schools in 1995 with the promise of radical change, Victoria's trustees committed a total of $5 million over five years to Newark public school reform in 1996, hoping to leverage the state's commitment with additional small but strategic projects focused on important reform issues.

1995

2012

Victoria Foundation moved its offices to Newark, NJ.

vf split small

Location

Victoria Foundation
31 Mulberry Street, 5th Floor
Newark, NJ 07102

Contact

Ph. 973-792-9200
Fax 973-792-1300
e-mail info@victoriafoundation.org

Search